Visiting Australia & Temporary VisasInformation on a range of visas for short-term visits or stays in Australia


There are a number of options for visiting Australia that provide for a stay ranging from 3 to 12 months. Some visas are single entry and others permit multiple entries during the validity of the visa.  In most cases, applications are made outside Australia but depending on your circumstances you may be able to seek a further visa to remain in Australia. There is also a sponsored category of visitor visa if you are seeking to visit family in Australia for a longer stay of up to 12 months. A security bond may be required for this type of visa. In some cases, depending on your passport country, it is possible to apply online for an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) or an EVisitor. Contact us if you would like to discuss your individual circumstances or need assistance choosing the most suitable visa.

Short-term business visits

If you need to visit Australia on a short-term basis for the purposes of business, there are a number of alternatives. Deciding which visa is most suitable will depend on a number of factors including: your passport country; the intended duration of your visit; and the purpose of your visit (for example attend a business event such as a conference, meeting or seminar, conduct business negotiations, or explore business options). Contact us if you would like to discuss your individual circumstances.

Medial Treatment

There is a short-stay and long-stay option for people seeking to travel to Australia for the purposes of medical treatment, certain medical consultations or to donate an organ. This type of visa can also be granted to a person accompanying or providing support to a person seeking medical treatment. There are also certain other limited instances where a visa can be granted to people in Australia. Contact us if you wish to discuss your individual circumstances.

Working Holiday

Visiting Australia on a Working Holiday visa is a great way to spend extended time in Australia to travel and undertake some work to supplement your travelling funds.  This category of visa is available to people aged between 18 and 30 years of age who are citizens of one of the following countries: Belgium, Canada, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan and United Kingdom.

A similar program and visa category exists for people aged between 18 and 30 years who can meet certain English language, educational and evidentiary requirements and who are from one of the following countries: Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, Indonesia, Iran, Malaysia, Thailand, Turkey, USA and Uruguay. Contact us if you need advice or if you need help choosing another more suitable visa, for example, if your primary purpose is to work in Australia.


There are a number of options for people wishing to study in Australia, undertake a professional development training program or a workplace based training program. There is a also a visa that is appropriate for parents or relatives who wish to stay in Australia as a student visa holder’s guardian.

There are 5 assessment levels in the Student Visa Program. The relevant assessment level and associated requirements for the visa will depend on your passport country and the level at which you intend to undertake study. Contact us if you wish to discuss your individual circumstances.

Specialist Entry

There are a number of different temporary visas to cover specific purposes of visiting Australia on a temporary basis, including:

Contact us if you need advice or would like to discuss your specific circumstances.

Distinguished Talent

A Distinguished Talent visa is for people who are either in or outside Australia and who have international recognition for exceptional and outstanding achievement in their profession, the arts, sport, research or academia. This visa requires nomination by an eligible person or organisation and if successful provides for permanent residence in Australia. Contact us if you wish to discuss your individual circumstances.


If you are over 55 years of age, and you are a self-funded retiree you may wish to consider spending your retirement years in Australia. On an Investor Retirement visa you can live in Australia up to 4 years (with the possibility of an extension) and you can supplement your funds with work up to 40 hours per fortnight. While you can apply together with your partner, you must have no dependents.

If you are already in Australia on a Retirement visa (Subclass 410), you may be able to apply for a further visa.

Wish to know more?

Contact VisAssist® for an obligation free initial appraisal.Get A Quote

Stay connected with us in your favorite flavor!